Chemin d'Arles

Vous n'êtes pas identifié. Si vous voulez poster un message, il vous faudra vous identifier.

#1 2007-02-03 10:09:07

Tricia

Arles Route in Sept/Oct

We intend walking the Arles Route to Puenta la Reina in Sept/Oct this year and have a few questions
* How difficult will it be to get accomodation at that time of the year.  Would we be better to carry a small tent just in case.  We are aware that we will probably have to use small hotels and Chambre d'hotes most of the time.
* Do you see many other pilgrims along the route.  We walked from Vezelay last year and until we got to the spot where the 3 routes meet only saw 4 other pilgrims.
* Is the route way marked with the usual red and white GR marks.
* What is the best guide book for this route.
* How is the best (cheapest and fastest) way to get from Puenta la Reina.

Thanks

Tricia

Dernière modification par Tricia (2007-02-03 10:11:51)

#2 2007-02-07 12:07:36

roselyne

Re: Arles Route in Sept/Oct

Bonjour, quelques indications pour le chemin d’Arles :
Pas de problèmes pour marcher en cette saison, en géneral, il fait beau.
Les marques sont celles du GR 653 rouge et blanc, il y a aussi selon les régions traversées, soit des petites coquilles jaunes ,soit des croix en fer forgé
Je marche avec le guide « chemin d’Arles vers Saint Jacques de Compostelle » Rando édition écrit par R Day,  L Laborde-Balen, P Macia et JP Siréjol
Ce guide est très complet avec les gîtes, hotels , n° de télephone (reserver la veille ou avant) et dates d’ouverture
Pas de problèmes de logement, car il y a peu de pélerins.
Il y a aussi un livre intitulé le « miam-miam dodo »
Le confort est variable, mais pas besoin d’une tente.
Le chemin d’Arles passe en Espagne par le col du Somport
Je demande à une de mes amies de traduire en Anglais si vous ne parlez pas français. Mon mail est noté sur le forum si vous le désirez.
Have a good way . Roselyne

#3 2007-02-07 20:04:29

Tricia

Merci Roselyn pour votre reponse il est tres utile.  I have managed to order on the internet both the the books you suggest.  As far as language is concerned I understand french reasonably well and speak 'un petit peu' so shouldnt have too much of a problem. Last year we walked from Vezelay to Burgos and we are so much looking forward to once again walking through your beautiful countryside

Tricia

#4 2007-02-07 21:20:30

roselyne

Hi Tricia,
A few indications for Arles' way. Above all, any trouble to walk at this season, weather is fine !
The marks that you can find in your way are those GR 653, coloured in read and white. In some areas, you can find yellow shells or cross made in iron.
I'm walking with the guide-book "Chemin d'Arles vers Saint Jacques de Compostelle" by Rando-Edition written byR Day, L Laborde-Balen, P Macia, JP Sirejol. This book contains many informations for example : Shelter, hotels, phone  number, opening dates... It's better to make a reservation a day befor your arrival. Any problem to get a place, cause there are no so much pligrims !
another interesting book titled"Miam-miam-Dodo", where you can find a real and comfortable place.
Have a good way !

voilà la traduction de mon amie.Roselyne

#5 2007-02-08 14:47:51

André
Administrateur

Hi Tricia,
Additional information to details already provided by Roselyne

Tricia a écrit:

* How difficult will it be to get accomodation at that time of the year.  Would we be better to carry a small tent just in case.  We are aware that we will probably have to use small hotels and Chambre d'hotes most of the time.

There are many 'gites' along the route, nearly in all places. Also a few hotels and chambres d'hôte to fill the gaps. All details are included in the guide published by Rando-Editions and you will find up-to-date lists in the gites during your first days of walk.

Tricia a écrit:

* Do you see many other pilgrims along the route.  We walked from Vezelay last year and until we got to the spot where the 3 routes meet only saw 4 other pilgrims.

When I walked along the Arles route in May and June, there were waves of 10 to 12 pilgrims a day in France and 15 in Spain. I guess that it could be a little less in Septembre - Octobre since certain pilgrims keep on walking to Santiago. But you will definetely meet more people that on the Vézelay route.

Tricia a écrit:

* What is the best guide book for this route.

Agree with Roselyne. The Rando-Editions guide is the best one. It's actually the only one available for hikers (as far as I know)!

Tricia a écrit:

* How is the best (cheapest and fastest) way to get from Puenta la Reina.

There are buses to Pampelona and a daily bus (around 11 am) to Santander (Spain) and Hendaye (France).

André

'Le but n'est pas le but, c'est la voie'  Lao-Tseu

#6 2007-02-09 08:41:41

Tricia

Thanks Andre for your reply it is very helpful.  Have also got to-day a copy of the appropriate Miam miam Dodo - it took less than a week to get from England to New Zealand which I find absolutely amazing. One more question

* is it possible to get a 'credencial' in Arles when we get there or is it better to try and get one before we leave.

Tricia

#7 2007-02-09 13:19:50

André
Administrateur

Hi Tricia,
Yes you can get the magic 'credencial' in Arles. To get mine, I went to St Trophime church, ask for the priest address (100m by the church) and got it from him. As a bonus, when I got back to St Trophime in order to visit the magnificent cloister, I had the good surprise to be gently let in for free, thanks to my fresh credencial wink.

'Le but n'est pas le but, c'est la voie'  Lao-Tseu

<

Pied de page des forums