Chemin d'Arles

Vous n'êtes pas identifié. Si vous voulez poster un message, il vous faudra vous identifier.

#1 2007-03-22 20:26:08

brian

camping?

Hi,
I just signed up and i'm excited to say that i'm starting the arles route in may!  I am planning to pack a little tent, and i'm curious about the quality/quantity of camping opportunities along the route.  I was hoping to save some money by camping about half the time, is this possible?

#2 2007-03-23 16:30:36

Jean-Pierre

Re: camping?

Camping gives you the feeling of an incredible independence and liberty. The weight of the tent is peanuts in comparison with this feeling. Even if you spend your nights in refuges or hotels, you are never lost with a tent, in case of need. There are many camping sites along the way. You find them in the Miam-miam-dodo for the Arles way (this handbook about where to sleep and eat is written in French, but as it works with icons you understand it even without knowledge in French). Look here:  http://www.amazon.fr/Miam-miam-dodo-che … amp;sr=8-1

It is possible to camp "anywhere" outside in the wilderness (so for one night, it is named bivouac and not camping). We made it in Spain on the Via de la plata - it was great!

Best regards 
Jean-Pierre

#3 2007-03-25 13:26:20

Anja

Jean-Pierre a écrit:

It is possible to camp "anywhere" outside in the wilderness (so for one night, it is named bivouac and not camping). We made it in Spain on the Via de la plata - it was great!

Best regards 
Jean-Pierre

Hi,  What you're saying about the feeling of being free when wild camping is so true.  I am starting from Toulouse on the 5th of april.  I've got a general description but wonder if I need to buy a detailed map?  Also, are there water faucets along the way in villages?  If one goes camping in the wilderness, is the water drinkable if you run out?

Also,  I learned that sleeping outdoors is against the law in Spain.  Seems odd to me but I wouldn't want to get arrested just for absorbing some earth energy.  Sometimes I prefer nature to snorers in a refugio.  Anyone know?

Besides extreme weather, is there anything else to be aware of on the Arles route?

#4 2007-03-26 12:17:18

Jean-Pierre

Dear Anja,
with one of the handbooks for the Arles way (written in French) and with the "Miam-miam-dodo" (also for the Arles way and also written in French) you get the informations you need. If you like to buy maps you could choose the 1:100'000 maps of the IGN. They are detailed enough. The maps are good for a general orientation where you are, and for the control of the distance to the next village.

Wild camping is officially forbidden in all European countries. But I was informed that this is against people staying in a place for the whole holidays, and against the gipsy groups who arrive with many big motor campers and stay for long periods. If you ask the landed proprietor (if possible...  :-))  ), if you only stay for one night, if you do not destroy anything and if you do not leave litter, there should be no problem.

Indeed, if you like to camp out in the wilderness, you have to think of several things. There is additional weight to carry. You should carry enough water and food for the evening and for breakfast next morning. There is no shower available. The nights can be very cold. Rain in the morning, when you have to pack up your things, is not a pleasure at all.

Where to find drinking-water: always around the cemeteries!

Jean-Pierre

#5 2007-03-28 13:35:38

Anja

Jean-Pierre a écrit:

Dear Anja,

Where to find drinking-water: always around the cemeteries!

Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre,  You gave me some good information of which the water tip is my favorite.  Who would have thought to look for water near a cemetary?  Not I. 

I'll get the booklets you recommend.  Amazing to find that it is against the law in all European countries.  Yes, wild camping is not always pleasant but, sometimes, when it gets cold, I like to walk at night.  It is a different experience to permit yourself to lose all connections with time and just go whenever you please.   Nights are filled with sounds of critters.

Again merci.  Looking forward to my journey.

#6 2008-10-21 11:07:39

Nicholas

May I just point out that it is not against the law to engage in wild camping in the UK. There are certainly places where it is frowned on but there are also places such as Dartmoor (England) and Scotland where you would be within your rights to wildcamp. There are also places where there are restrictions on the amount of days you can stay in one place. Some places require permission from the owner but this may be impracticable in more isolated areas. The general rule though would be, if you can ask permission .. ask, if not then just get on with it.

<

Pied de page des forums